Re: g77 -mieee no longer the same

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, James D. Freels wrote:

> Incidently, the same test, same version of g77, "same" level of Linux
> installation (Debian-2.0), but on an Intel cpu (pentium 166Mhz)
> produces the desired effect.  In particular, when the divide by zero
> occurs, an "Inf." is printed and the code continues without stopping
> or core dumping.  This is without any compile options on g77, i.e,,

Yes, that's expected.  The Alpha traps FPEs and expects software to feed
it the proper code since any internal trap handling would slow the
pipeline overall (or something like that...I have a full explanation in my
email archives).  The x86 family (including P5-??) has built-in FPE
handling (largely due to a CISC-like instruction layer built into the
processor), so -mieee is unecessary (and thus reflected in the egcs docs).

Also, regarding the FP code in the kernel that I mentioned before, I
haven't looked much into it, but I don't believe that the x86-specific
pieces of that code don't even touch the types of instructions generated
in this case.