Re: Hamm PCMCIA / Notes on small problems with new install

> On Mon, 6 Jul 1998 Brett_A._Letner@notes.up.com wrote:
>
> I've been tempted for awhile to compile the binaries for that.  If you'd
> like I'll build them today and you can test them (hint hint).  I don't
> have a PCMCIA device anywhere, so I was hesitant to build them and upload
> them without proper testing (since I feel they're pretty integral).
>
> Let me know :)

I've been running it on my RH partition for a while. Since I have been playing
with the new install disks loic made available recently, I'll try it out on my
new debian partitions. So if you plan on compiling it, I doubt we'll have any
problems. But I had compiled from source on that package as well, so we can
put the package through the grinder. At least for the serial module, dont
have any other pcmcia card to test it with.

btw comments on the new install disks.

looking a LOT better :P (got all the way through this time) It still has some
rough edges. I'm going from memory here so I'll be lacking specifics here.

1) The kernel on the rescue disk is giving some unaligned traps when it mounts
my other partitions? at least I think that is where its related to. I can log
the memory address if it will help any.

2) I think there were some missing modules (crt.o? etc.) immediately before
the installation screen for selecting modules, but I didnt notice any really
adverse effects from it. When I run through the install again on a different
HD in a few days, I'll try to log the specific error message.

3) since the options to make the HD bootable and make a bootable floppy? is
non funtional for alpha? At the moment is there anyway to make the installation
bypass those options (ie so they dont appear?). *Shrug* just curious.

Just a note.  I already had a milo partition on one of my HDs so I didnt test
out the milo portion of the new restore disks.

4) Omniorb is giving unaligned traps.

5) still several packages dependant on libc6 instead of libc6.1 (though I
didnt update my local mirror of the package tree since the 3-4th)

	OKay that wasnt just a few.. but those are the ones I can remember.
but its better to get the installation and all the problems brought up for
discussion so they can get fixed.

		Phil Oleson (the longtime lurker)