Re: base disks copied to master

Bdale Garbee asks:

> Is anyone working on building a set of kernels and rescue images, or is
> it the case that we should promote some set of files from one of the
> previous directory trees?  The former feels better, the latter might
> allow us to make it easier for folks to dive in and help us out...
> thoughts?

IMHO we can (and should) generate new rescue and driver disk images for
each architecture.

Paul Slootman asks:

> What is involved in building a set of kernels and rescue images?

It is not very hard, once you have a kernel and a milo ...

Christopher C Chimelis writes:

> I would suggest building a new set to incorporate some security fixes and
> other changes in the latest kernel revisions.  Plus, it would help to
> further test the kernel-package revisions to make sure things will go
> smoothly from now on with that.
>
> I still have all of the configs, but it would take me weeks to revise
> them and compile the kernels.  If I manage to get my second UDB running
> tonight (with a 2G drive...yeah!), then I'll start on them at home and
> get them done faster.

Please put the config files up for ftp!  This makes it much easier for a
volunteer effort to actually make something consistent...  If you haven't
got the ftp space then I do, so then mail me a .tar.gz or something.

				   - o -

I have assembled, below, the instructions for making a rescue disk, as
discussed before on the list: notice that the rescue disk now also includes
milo.

It can easily be automated, and once workable config files exist for 2.0.34
then the complete operation is ~5mins per kernel on a machine such as mine,
provided the right milo is available, of course.  That is just a question
of getting the newest milo for each architecture from gatekeeper and then
releasing with a note that the machines we have not actually tried to boot
are still in alpha installation-wise ...

It is really a shame that one cannot reload the rescue disk as a drivers
disk ... maybe a patch to boot-floppies to permit a type.txt containing
"rescue+drivers" or something?

				   - o -

Anyway, here is my proposal for how anyone can build a rescue disk from the
one on Loic's page or the copy in
Cheers,
	Kristoffer

      CREATING A DEBIAN 2.0 RESCUE DISK FOR A PARTICULAR ALPHA VARIANT

		    Copyright (C) 1998 Kristoffer Rose
		  Conditions of use: see last in the file

This text explains how to make a Debian 2.0 rescue for Alpha by manipulating
an existing disk image.  This has the advantage that it can be done on a
non-debian Linux system even without using any floppies!

1. Make sure your kernel has the `loop' and `msdos' file systems in it.  (If
   they are modules then load them now.)

2. Locate (or compile) the `milo' file and the kernel that you wish to go in
   the disk image, say it is called `vmlinux.gz' and has modules in
   `lib/modules/2.0.34' (if there are no modules then create an empty module
   directory with the appropriate name).  Prepare a modules archive with the
   command

	# tar -cz -fmodules.tgz lib/modules/2.0.34

3. Make a copy of an existing rescue disk image onto, say, `/tmp/resc1440'.
   If you already had it as a file then use `cp'; if you had it as a real
   floppy then `dd if=/dev/fd0 bs=90k of=/tmp/resc1440' should do it.

4. Mount the copied rescue image as a file system with

	# mount /tmp/resc1440.bin /mnt -t msdos -o loop

   Now you can look at the contents of the disk.

5. Copy the desired kernel and modules onto the disk image.

	# cp milo /mnt/milo
	# cp vmlinux.gz /mnt/vmlinux.gz
	# cp modules.tgz /mnt/modules.tgz

   (using the kernel and modules from step 2).

6. Unmount the disk image with

	# umount /mnt

7. Make the new image available for ftp and post a message to
   debian-alpha@lists.debian.org with

   a. the ftp address of the created resc1440.bin image, and
   b. the .config file with which the kernel was generated (if known).

   Then maybe we can put together an archive, making debian useful on as
   many alpha variants as possible...

The above procedure will only make the disk bootable for ARC/AlphaBIOS based
systems.  I don't know whether such a disk will boot off an SRM based system
(what digital calls a "unix" system, sic :).

You also have to use a drv1440.bin disk: for the moment any one will do, just
be sure to not install any drivers when asked (as far as I know this is not
used yet on Alpha because most of the used bootstrap kernels by Jay Estabrook
at digital have no modules anyway).

				    - o -

    How to create a debian 2.0 rescue disk for a particular alpha variant
    Copyright (C) 1998  Kristoffer Rose

    This text is free; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the
    terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software
    Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any
    later version.

    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
    WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General
    Public License for more details.

    You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along
    with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
    59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA

				    - o -

Kristoffer Høgsbro Rose, Ph.D., prof.associé  <Kristoffer.Rose@ENS-Lyon.FR>
Laboratoire de l'Informatique du Parallélisme  équipe PLUME, bureau LR5-026
Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon; 46, Allée d'Italie; F-69364 Lyon 07 cedex
phone: +33(0)4 7272 8642; fax:...8080    <http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~krisrose>