Re: What "oldlibs" packages are (still) needed?

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Paul Slootman wrote:

> I've been looking at the diffs between the binary-i386 and binary-alpha
> Packages files, and it's looking pretty good! 119 packages out of date,
> and 266 packages not available; these numbers include i386-specific
> packages like lilo. Out of a total of 1548 packages that's not bad...
> And who really needs stuff like xemacs and netcdf anyway? (Just kidding :-)

Yeah, I recently ran a quinn-diff between the two and we're looking pretty
good.  I'm amazed that we've gotten that many packages done in such a
relatively short amount of time.

> Wouldn't it be a good idea to clean out that section? AFAIK the oldlibs
> packages are needed on i386 for the transition from libc5 to libc6, but
> as "we" never had libc5, it's not relevant.
> Opinions?

I agree.  There was a time when those libs came in kinda handy, but those
days are gone and should be.