hamm on a ruffian machine?

Dear Gerhard,

> I'm very new to Alphas (not to Linux) so I apologize...

Don't...we're nice people who all tried that :)

> Hardware: Samsung 164UX Motherboard (w/ SCSI and Ethernet onboard)
> SCSI harddisk (Cheetah 16 GB)
>
> After booting milo, a working kernel (ruffian 2.0.34p11b), starting
> redhat, copying the debian boot disks to a filesystem (no debian rescue
> disk for ruffians..) I was able to start the debian install system, install
> the base system (including base1_3.tgz via network, so something seems to do
> well :-).
>
> After reboot everything is slow, realy slow.

Your problem looks like a generic one, described by Loic on <URL:
http://lhpca.univ-lyon1.fr/axp/>.  The symptom is that the SCSI disk is
allocated "irq 0" in the startup messages.  What kernel did the system
install?  The fix might be as easy as simply overwriting the Debian kernel
with the RedHat one, since that did not seem to have the problem...

Cheers,
	Kristoffer

--
Kristoffer Høgsbro Rose, Ph.D., prof.associé  <Kristoffer.Rose@ENS-Lyon.FR>
Laboratoire de l'Informatique du Parallélisme  équipe PLUME, bureau LR5-026