Re: making a resc+drv disk for alpha

On Monday, 22 Jun, Kristoffer.Rose@ENS-Lyon.FR wrote:

> NB. The above procedure will only make the disk bootable for ARC/AlphaBIOS
> based systems.  I don't know whether such a disk will boot off an SRM based
> system (what digital calls a "unix" system, sic :).

As I said some time ago, the only thing needed to make it SRM bootable is
to run srmbootfat on the resulting disk image, like this:
	srmbootfat /dev/fd0 milo
(`milo' here refers to the file in the image that the boot block must be
made pointing to).

To the best of my knowledge, this procedure is harmless and won't render
the disk unbootable from ARC.

Srmbootfat is available from ftp://genie.ucd.ie/pub/alpha (both source
tree and a precompiled binary).  No man page yet; I hope that if it
proves to be useful, it will eventually be integrated with Chris' effort
on MILO and get documented then.

Cheers,

	Nikita