Debian-alpha bugs (was: Re: General questions about debian-alpha...)

Thanks to Paul Slootman for the quick reply.  I'll comment quickly on a
few of the bugs below, and add a few of my own.  Hope having this many bug
reports at once doesn't overload everyone.

> kernel-headers are missing, links in /usr/include go to kernel 2.0.32,
> while 2.0.33 will be installed.

I forced the install of the i386 kernel-headers-2.0.32.  Surprisingly (to
me anyway), the links in the asm subdirectory were correct.  Perhaps this
package could be moved to binary-all?  I don't know if there are any
alpha-specific changes to the headers.  libc6.1-dev depends on this
package.

Incidentally, the reason for the necessity of this package was recently
discussed on debian-users.  It turns out that the links in /usr/include
should go to the headers used to compile libc, which are not necessarily
the same as the headers used to compile the current kernel.  Thus, the
instructions in the kernel-source README telling us to link them to the
kernel source are _incorrect_.

> manpage doesn't work cause groff doesn't. says: groff: error in

Since there is no man-db-ja package yet (unless you've compiled your own),
there's probably not much reason to use jgroff.  Install groff instead.
(That doesn't get rid of the bug in the package.  I'm in Japan right now,
and would prefer to have both the man-db-ja package and jgroff working!)

---------
Some bugs of my own:

xntp3:  crashes badly on start up.  I get a line with:
        "Unable to handle kernel paging request...", followed by a list of
        registers contents and a final line saying "klogd: memory
        violation at..."

netstd:
rwho/rwhod - strings come out garbled; same with information sent to
             other computers.  (32 bit->64 bit pointer problems?)
             works fine only for rwho on same computer
fingerd    - reports 327 days, 17 hours idle
             (... the system was installed last Saturday. ;-) )

ncurses3.0: depends on libc5
	    the package is listed as Optional, but when I try to remove
            it, I get a message saying that it is essential and should not
            be removed.  ncurses-base, ncurses-bin, and ncurses3.4 are
            installed.  (Am I correct in assuming that there is no libc5
            for alpha in Debian right now?  Was there ever?)  I forced the
            removal anyway--nothing depended on it.

locale-ja:  depends on libc6.  I forced the install anyway, because I and
            other people in my lab use kterm, and it seems to work fine.
            Should libc6.1 provide libc6?

ss2g:       initially tried to overwrite /lib/libss.so.2.0, also in
            e2fsprogs.  e2fsprogs now provides ss2g.. should the package
            be removed?

gv:         /usr/X11R6/include/X11/pixmaps/mini-gv.xpm is also in package
            fvwm-common; wouldn't overwrite it on install; forced it

General:
 - various dependency problems when upgrading from base_disk installation.
   Hopefully fixed by apt/deity(?), although the base disks should
   probably be remade.  From recent talk about the cd distribution, I
   suspect this might happen(?). (BTW, I used the ones from the 1997-08-12
   directory--are there newer ones somewhere?). In particular:

     - when upgrading libreadline2 (to libreadline2g) and bash,
       libreadline2 wouldn't deconfigure bash to upgrade.  Forced by hand.
     - kernel-headers-2.0.32 required by libc6.1-dev ... mentioned above
     - problems with e2fsprogs, e2fslibsg conflicting with each other.  I
       had the wrong one installed once, and rebooted the system... fsck
      wasn't installed, so the disk wouldn't check properly. :-)

 - REALLY ANNOYING:
   When I log in with anything but the root account on console, I get the
   following message when I run almost any command:

    <prog_name>: unimplemented OSF mmap flags 0402

   Replace <prog_name> with tcsh, ls, whoami, etc...
   Possible problem locations: tcsh-i18n, nis, nfs

   Doesn't happen in X.

Wishlist:
  - I have to say that I like Debian better than Red Hat, but Red Hat's
    X Configurator or the graphical interface available on the i386
    platforms (forgot the name) would be nice.  Probably a lot easier wish
    to ask for than grant, though. :-)  (In my case, I just copied my
    XF86Config from my Red Hat installation.)

  xaw3dg:     gv depends on this; however it would be nice if there were
              an option to install all of the files in /usr/X11/lib/Xaw3d
              I did this by hand (i.e. with dpkg-divert).
              (Okay, well, I should send this one the real package
              maintainer)

------
Sorry this is so long, but hopefully the individual descriptions are short
enough that people can ignore anything they didn't port... :-)

If you need more information about a given problem, of course get in touch
with me--I look forward to getting lots of e-mail (of the non-spam kind).

Cheers,

  Kevin

-----
Kevin Squire