Re: booting/installing debian-alpha

Dear Kristoffer,

On Friday, 12 Jun, Kristoffer.Rose@ens-lyon.fr wrote:

> Sorry, I was thinking about AlphaBIOS booting (which is the only one I
> know).  AlphaBIOS *does* know about file systems, at least FAT and ISO9660
> ones.

Yes, I see; it's just that you mentioned SRM in your earlier message, so
I decided you were talking about SRM booting as well.

> Does SRM know how to boot off a CD-ROM at all?

Yes.

> The most logical place to put this would be in linload: here we can use
> BIOS calls to support an option that means "read the MILO image" instead of
> the default being using the argument string as the MILO directory or image
> (as it is done currently).

> Then booting linload.exe will do the trick - there is just one linload.exe,
> right?  (Assuming it works with SRM, of course, which I don't know.)

Right.  That's true when booting via AlphaBIOS.  However, SRM doesn't
use linload.exe: it goes straight to MILO.  Currently the problem is
that while even in its current state AlphaBIOS lets users select which
MILO to boot, SRM can't do even that.  Only one OS per disk, please.
That is, MILO on a CD can't be booted from SRM on arbitrary platforms
unless a middle layer bootloader is provided, similar to linload.exe in
AlphaBIOS boot up process.

> Certainly.  But for the moment this is not so: in fact drv1440.bin contains
> basically nothing but it being an image means it wastes 1.4M anyway.

Oh, I see...

	Nikita