Re: booting/installing debian-alpha

Dear Andreas,

> do a virtual "ls -R". if the files are not found on a similiar place
> in /debian/hamm/hamm/disks-alpha/current/, then also list where i can get
> them. i will install the files according to your list, ok ?

I have asked the debian-alpha activists about this, and will assemble you a
list from the replies I get.  Be aware that ftp.debian.org has not been
updated for 8 months and a lot has happened with alpha-boots since then.

> i hope /debian/ with subdirs doc/ dists/ hamm/ and the README* files is still
> ok, because it's on all disks this way. /debian/hamm/contrib is on a seperate
> cdrom, and /debian/hamm/non-free might be available on a cdrom shipped by some
> cd vendors, but is not on an official debian cdrom.

Yes, all you proposed under /debian is fine.

> > 	/boot-alpha/linload.exe
> > 	/boot-alpha/base2_0.tgz
> > 	/boot-alpha/root.bin
> > 	/boot-alpha/drv1440.bin		(at least for now)
>
> a cdrom can only bootable for one architecture, and the printing on the cdrom
> should say that. no need to be too specific, i think. and there is still
> /README which says what files are on what cdrom.

Just to make it clear:

(1) booting an alpha off a CD-ROM does *not* use the boot block but rather
    exploits that one can inform the alpha's boot-loader (SRM or AlphaBIOS)
    which file (on a FAT or ISO9660 file system) to load.  The program thus
    loaded is called MILO and is, from a CD-ROM perspective, "just a file".

(2) Alphas come in a large number of variants THAT REQUIRE DIFFERENT
    KERNELS.  This is what I meant with <subarchitecture> in my proposal.
    The following <subarchitecture>s are known to me (we might not be able
    to support them all in an initial release):

    alcor, alcor-s, alphabook1-s, avanti-s, cab, cab-s, dp264-s, eb164,
    eb64p, eb66, eb66p, jensen-s, lx164, miata, miata-s, mikasa-s,
    mikasa-s-5, noname, noritake-s, noritake-s-5, pc164, rawhide-s,
    sable-s, sable-s-5, sx164, takara, and xl.

    We cannot make a cd-rom for each of these!

Here is my proposal, again, after adjusting it according to your message.
I can collect all the real files tomorrow morning.

The generic files for booting:

 	/boot/linload.exe		(not a symlink)
 	/boot/base2_0.tgz
 	/boot/root.bin
 	/boot/drv1440.bin

The per-<subarchitecture> files for booting, so

	/boot/<subasrchitecture>/milo
	/boot/<subasrchitecture>/vmlinux.gz
	/boot/<subasrchitecture>/resc1440.bin

Alpha-specific documentation:

	/boot/AlphaBIOS-HOWTO
	/boot/MILO-HOWTO

> thats why i move files from ftp.debian.org in /debian, so they know what parts
> are from a regular ftp mirror, and what parts are "special cdrom magick".
> i also expcet some vendors not to ship the official cdrom, but use it to add
> some files (e.g. a mirror of their web pages, other stuff), and i can
> make sure that even these people will still have /debian on their cds.

Well considered.

> and some people might for example sell a cdrom
> with /debian/hamm/non-free, /kde and /netscape ...

Some people might do that, I suppose :)

> this will do it : ?
> mkdir $(TMPDIR)/boot
> (cd $(ARCHIVE)/$(CODENAME)/$(CODENAME)/disks-alpha/current ; \
>   cp -dpRPl * $(TMPDIR)/boot )

Sorry, but no: the "disks-alpha/current" directory is vastly incomplete for
Alpha. The reason is that digital itself (more concretely,
Jay.Estabrook@digital.com) has done a wondeful job of setting up kernels
and milos for all the subarchitectures.  All "we" have to do is wrap them
up in resc1440.bin images.

> currently i don't make the cdrom bootable. if i should, tell me what image i
> should boot.

As explained above that is not required.

I'll be back to you tomorrow when I've started assembling all those images.

Cheers,
	Kristoffer
--
Kristoffer Høgsbro Rose, Ph.D., prof.associé  <Kristoffer.Rose@ENS-Lyon.FR>
Laboratoire de l'Informatique du Parallélisme  équipe PLUME, bureau LR5-026