Re: booting/installing debian-alpha

> Remember that users have to *type in* full paths on the alpha.  So it is
> bad news if the images are burried somewhere deep inside some
> dists/.../disks-alpha/... hierarchy (it might even make booting directly
> from the CD-ROM impossible due to limits on the length of strings).

ok. symlinks are ok, or real files ?

> Yes, please publicize the layout of the CD-ROM so we can comment on it from
> a multi-architectural viewpoint...i.e.,

propose a layout, and i will most likely use it.
current i386 layout :
/debian 	ftp mirror
/debian/hamm/hamm/binary-i386/
                  disks-i386
        dist/stable
	doc/
	tools/
/boot		(loadlin.exe install.bat linux resc*.bin root.bin ...)
/tools/rawrite1	(stuff from /debian/tools, but unpacked)
       rawrite2
       fips15
       fips15c
/README.txt
/install.txt
/install.html

> should the layout be such that we  can, once the DVDs get normal, put all
> distributions (source + i386 + alpha + ...) on the same DVD, or what?

tha biggest problem i see with dvd : can you boot from dvd ?
can you select the image to boot ? can i this way select the image i want ?
can the images be from different architectures ?

andreas