Re: Tulip driver broken on newer MIATAs

Dear Avery,

> I don't know, but on the topic of the tulip driver:

A pity - let me reply to your questions and ask something else (that I know
that you know :).

> Does anyone know how to make it work with the BNC/thinnet interface on a
> UDB (DEC 21040 chip)?  It says that it doesn't find the "link pulse" for
> 10baseT, then it switches automatically to AUI.  But it never tries BNC!
> Investigation in the source code shows no reference to it whatsoever,
> although there are several tests to see if if_port is or is not 0.

You can set the device to use explicitly, as explained on the tulip driver
page <URL: http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html> along with
other things: that page is Very Useful.  It inly omits how to configure the
non-module version: this is done with an "ether=0,0,<interface>,eth0" boot
argument.

> I've tested with kernels 2.0.32 and 2.1.103, where 2.1.103 is slightly
> hacked up to compile properly on my alpha.  PLIP works, so I assume that my
> hacks were relatively well-placed.

I tried PLIP and it hung my machine :(  Could I bother you to send me your
patches and .config files (both 2.0.33 and 2.1.103 interest me), please?

BTW, you should always quote your machine type (mine is Miata) in messages
such as this so the Right Crowd will find your message (some of us search
actively for such keywords).

> I know, thinnet is dead, but it's what I'm stuck with.  Any advice would be
> happily welcomed!

IMHO thinnet is very useful (for example for converting small clusters of
obsolete sparc-stations with nice screens into useful X terminals to a
GNU/Linux server :)

> Any advice would be happily welcomed!

I hope the above pointer helped.

Enjoy,
	Kristoffer

> P.S. I'm not on axp-list, but I am on debian-alpha.  Please cc: me any
> replies.

Good to hear: I run Debian 2.0 (i386+alpha) myself with Much Fun :)
--
Kristoffer Høgsbro Rose, Ph.D., prof.associé  <Kristoffer.Rose@ENS-Lyon.FR>
Laboratoire de l'Informatique du Parallélisme  équipe PLUME, bureau LR5-026