trouble booting kernels 2.1.100, 2.1.101: fixed file name length

The problem I was having in booting the new kernel was the length of
the file name.  If the file name to boot is

it boots fine.  If the file name is

it does not boot, but gives the error message

attempt to access beyond end of device

If I do 'cp vmlinux.gz.21101 test.gz'

and boot as

it unzips and starts the boot process.  However, there is still
something else wrong since the nothing appears the screen once the new
kernel takes over, but I can hear the disk drive working as if if were
booting.  Perhaps I am required to set the VGA / console option at the
end of the config?

|James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D. |Phone:  (423)576-8645 |   | L | A |
|Oak Ridge National Laboratory  |FAX:    (423)574-9172 | H | I | L |
|Research Reactors Division     |work e-m: fea@ornl.gov| F | N | P |
|P. O. Box 2008                 |home e-m: fea@icx.net | I | U | H |
|Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6392|world's best neutrons | R | X | A |