Re: new kernels

On Fri 08 May 1998, James D. Freels wrote:

> >I'm trying to compile 2.1.100, and am getting a strange error in the
> >linker:
> >
> >main.o: undefined reference to __builtin_memset
> >
> >Has anyone else had this problem?

I think that I ran into this, and it had to do with an include missing
in an alpha-specific include file. I compared it to the i386 version,
and that did have the required include file.

Search the kernel source (in .h files) for "builtin_memset", and you'll
see that it's defined in one of those files. Now search for occurances
of that files being included, and you'll find that it's included in the
i386 branch but not the alpha branch.

At least, that's what I recall... I'm not near my alpha at the moment
(where I had fixed this), so I can't tell the exact details. Remind me
to look again on Monday or so if you still have problems.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software, Enschede, the Netherlands