Re: installation

A couple weeks ago i purchased a 533MHz alpha lx system with redhat
preinstalled, and I installed debian on it.  here's what I did:

1. make separate redhat and debian root partitions.

2. on the debian ftp site there's a big tar file with the debian base
system on it.  untar it into the debian partition.

3. on the debian partition, edit etc/fstab, and set up etc/hosts,
etc/hostname/, etc/resolv.conf, etc/init.d/network, etc.

4. use the redhat kernel to boot into the debian partition.  to do
this: reboot, hit <space> to get the MILO prompt, then type something
like "boot sda2:/vmlinux.gz /dev/sda5", assuming that sda2 was your
redhat root partition with the kernel living there, and sda5 is your
debian partition.

5. build yourself a new kernel if you want.  you need to patch the
2.0.33 sources with alpha-patches-2.0.32-0.1.gz, which will apply
cleanly.  use "make boot" to make the new kernel, which will be in
.../arch/alpha/boot/vmlinux.gz, and can be copied to /boot/.  Be sure
to include "real time clock" support, and to MAKEDEV the appropriate
device, so "hwclock" can do its thing.

6. set the machine to boot into debian by default.  you do this from
the menu you get on a cold boot, you add a new boot entry and make it
the primary one.  the only difference from the redhat entry is in some
of the parameters passed to milo.

7. run dselect and go to town.  You'll have to "dpkg --force-depends"
a couple things (eg for libc6 vs libc6.1 dependencies) and a few
--force-overwrite's might be necessary too.

8. for /etc/X11/XF86config, I just copied from the redhat partition.

9. do some burnin testing.  I made a script that spawns jobs like this
every minute or two in parallel repeatedly for a couple days.

 find /redhat/usr -xdev -perm -4 -type f | xargs --max-args=50 egrep -i seeberi

10. mount the redhat root partition on /var/tmp.