Re: new alpha installation

On Wed 01 Apr 1998, Jesse Goldman wrote:

> I was having trouble getting debian to boot on a new alpha machine
> yesterday. I've been playing around with it some and I'd like to make the
> question more specific. I read the MILO manual and the debian nano-HOWTO
> for installation and followed the instructions. When I try to boot the
> machine from a rescue disk via MILO, ie:
>
> boot fd0:/vmlinux.gz root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1
>
> MILO finds the scsi devices and then apparently tries to read the floppy
> drive and fails spectacularly regardless of what rescue or kernel disk I
> put there. I get errors like:
>
> "VFS: Disk change detected on 2:00"
>
> "Could not read filesystem on floppy0"
>
> usually followed by a long list of numbers and errors which repeats 4 or 5
> times before I get the MILO prompt back again. At that points, I have to
> reboot since the system won't reliquish the disk drive. The loader says
> that the system is an "AlphaPC 164LX" and Linux says in /proc/cpuinfo
> that the cpu type is "EB164" and the system variation is "LX164". The
> rescue floppies I've tried so far are the "multia" and "noname" but it
> doesn't look to me like MILO even gets to the kernel on the floppy. Does
> anyone know what I might be doing wrong? Thanks...

There's a report that a rescue disk that was made with dd if=... didn't
work, and that using DOS and rawrite.exe helped (although I didn't have
any problems with the dd disk).

Additionally, I think you should try the resc1440.bin.pc164 image in
1997-08-12.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl