Re: Fresh hamm install

On Tue 03 Feb 1998, Ferenc Kiraly wrote:

> 1) When the base floppies untar themselves I get a broken pipe.
>    I think  that line should be written more robust, perhaps
>    without using pipes. But then there must be a good reason for
>    piping the outpuf of zcat into tar. I'm sure the reason is not
>    possible lack of disk space.

The shell gives the error (I first thought gzip, but "strace"ing the
whole process I found that gzip is simply killed by a sigpipe, and the
shell reports that).

Curiously, from a shell prompt this gives a "Broken pipe" message:

$ zcat < /dev/fd0 | tar tf -

but this doesn't:

$ sh -c 'zcat < /dev/fd0 | tar tf -'

This seems like a simple enough workaround...

> 3) various dependency conflicts because xlib6g is missing from
>    the debian ftp site. Whee do I get it?

I ran into the same type of problem with the bash-2.01 that's available.
And a couple of libc6 dependencies instead of libc6.1.

BTW, now we're on the subject of installations: has anyone ever looked
into making the installation cdrom (if such a beast exists) directly
bootable?  It works for i386 and (Red Hat) sparc, so alpha shouldn't be
left behind. If it should be possible in theory, I'll be willing to have
a go at it (I'm getting pretty dexterious with mkisofs and company).

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software, Enschede, the Netherlands