Re: libc6 vs libc6.1

On Wednesday, 28 Jan, Juan Cespedes wrote:

> 	I may submit a bug report against the glibc package: I think
> the glibc soname for alpha can be changed safely from libc6.1 to libc6
> without breaking anything.

Changing the soname will break binary compatibility between Debian and
non-Debian Alpha systems, because 6.1 is the official soname for glibc2
on Alpha.  When glibc2 is built off the normal, unpatched GNU source
tree on Linux/Alpha, it is assigned 6.1.

According to the Debian policy, the package name should reflect the
soname exactly, so it must remain libc6.1.

That's my understanding of the situation.

	Nikita