Re: Just loaded debian, how do I help?

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Doug DeJulio wrote:

> I just managed to scrounge up another disk for my UDB, and managed to build it
> into a Debian system.  I had to jump through hoops to get the base system
> installed, and then massage the local copies of the Package files for dselect
> to be useful, but the system is working right now.

Great!  Welcome :)

> >From use, I can definitely see it's not as stable/usable as RedHat 4.2 yet --
> no big suprise, I'm not complaining.  I left the RedHat distribution on my
> internal disk intact, so I can boot to that when I need stability.

What exactly do you mean by "not as stable/usable"?  My UDB hasn't crashed
and burned in many months and have had no problems with usability at all.
In fact, I would say that my UDB is more stable and usable than my Pentium
with Debian is.  Anyway, the reason I ask is because I'd like to find out
what's not working correctly (aside from dselecting packages for
installation...we know about this and are working on it) and fix it ASAP.

> How can I be of use in bringing it up to speed?  I can compile packages, I can
> test things, I can compare the Debian and RedHat behaviors almost
> side-by-side, I can document what I've done to get this far... but I can't put
> in more than about 5 hours a week on this.

Sounds good.  I put in a little more than 5 hours a week most of the time
(if I'm bored, it's more like 24 hours a week) and find that even that
amount of time makes a huge difference.  I'm sure we could use your coding
experience!!!!  I've got a list of packages that I've had problems with,
so if you want to tackle something "funky", let me know.

Also, what we apparently need is a good document detailing installation
instructions.  We were *just* tossing a "nano-FAQ" around today regarding
this and could use some help since most of us here did our installs back
before the days when boot disks were available.  If you could lend some
assistance there, it would be greatly appreciated! :)

> Oh, the UDB is on the net 24x7 (it's "valen.aisb.org"), and I could also give
> access to other folks who want to build Debian packages.  The bandwidth isn't
> great, but it's there.  I've got a 1gig disk on it, and at the moment over
> 500M are unused.  Once I'm more comfortable with it, I can also wipe RedHat
> off the internal disk and do practice installs from disk sets.

I have fakeroot packaged and tested (it DOES work!  it does throw out some
unaligned trap warnings, though, which are REALLY ugly to fix).  You may
want to install that package before granting package-building access to
the world since it's MUCH preferred over sudo.

I know I appreciate the offer, though, as do a few others I'm sure.  We're
currently working on trying to get access to a 500MHz Alpha PC164 (at
least, I'm working on it :P) for larger packages (the basics of X were
just built on a 500MHz Alpha, fyi, and it's a good thing since it took my
UDB over 12 hours to compile it).

Anyway, if fakeroot isn't up on master, let me know and I'll put it up on
my ftp site for you to fetch.  In the meantime, feel free to try compiling
some packages that you don't see on master or on my site
(beezer.med.miami.edu:/pub/chris/to_master).  We've gotten alot of work
done, but considering how fast the x86 maintainers are generating new
versions of packages, we're falling behind again....

Thanks again and good luck :)  If you need any help, let us know here and
we'll try to help as best we can :)

Chris