Re: [DEBIAN-ALPHA] Installition for UDB

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Evil Twin wrote:

> I am the new proud owner of a UDB 166.  I have a disk.  Which I believe
> is unformatted.  I don't have a CDRom.  And I don't have an operating
> system.
> I have access to the internet.  So I can ftp files to my 486/Linux.
> Could anyone give me any help?  Or point me to someplace that would help
> me out?

Debian ALPHA nano-HOWTO:
$Id: micro-HOWTO,v 1.2 1997/10/23 08:47:15 marc Exp marc $

0. Assumptions:
  a. UDB
  b. SCSI disk
  c. Network
  d. Internet access via another machine
  e. SRM console used (I am NOT fond of ARC)
  f. A monitor which _CAN_ show you the SRM console (mine does NOT -
     not enough resolution).

1. dd the following files to diskettes:
  a. milo.dd
  b. rescue_noname.bin
  c. root.bin
  d. drv1440.bin
  e. base14-x.bin

2. Boot MILO from the SRM prompt:
  boot dva

  If you cannot _see_ the SRM console prompt (or, indeed, SRM anything
  else), you might have to type blind.

  As soon as MILO starts its countdown press something (SPACEBAR
  is convinient).

3. Insert the rescue diskette and boot _it_:
  boot fd0:/vmlinuz.gz root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1

  The "load_ramdisk=1" clause is imperative, since failing to provide
  it causes a failure to mount the root partition.

4. When requested, insert root diskette and press ENTER.

5. Soon, if not sooner, you will be presented with a set of installation
  screens filched from RedHat. Follow them.

6. When partitioning the disk, leave some space at the beginning of the
  disk unassigned (about 2MB) for use by MILO.

7. Start updating packages like mad.

99. THE END.

TO DO:
I. Add autobooting.