Re: Frequent "unaligned access", an init that dies, ... (fwd)

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:
> By any chance, do you have IPX support compiled into your kernel?

Shouldn't have.

> As far as being worried, I doubt that you need to be *TOO* worried about
> the unaligned traps, but they are an indication that something wasn't
> coded properly.  From past experience trying to get rid of such problems,
> they usually occur when pointers that are not aligned on proper boundaries
> are accessed.  If you can, let me know exactly what packages are causing
> these warnings and/or what commands are issued before you get these.

The first ones of them come before the system is properly
up, about immediately after networking has come on. Then it
continues a few times a minute, even if I do nothing.

> Eek.  Now this is more serious.  What kind of system do you have and how
> much RAM?

A PC164 (I think; I just work here, what do I know :) with
256 MB of RAM.

> Also, have verified that your swap partition didn't get hosed

Nope. On the other hand, we ran six concurrent kernel
compilation loops (essentially "while true; do make clean;
make; done"; and six of those) for almost three days. It
didn't use any swap at any time I looked, and everything
seemed to ge 100% OK. But I'll look, anyway.

I will also look at trying different kernels.