Re: Good news re: man-db

On 16 Oct 1997, James Troup wrote:

> Thank about what happens if you just move, e.g. ncurses to libc6
> without providing a libc5-based ncurses to go with it...
> The ``strange reason'' the maintainers decided do this is the libc6
> migration text which has been around, as policy, since July and been
> used in draft form for months before that;

I know this...I was just being silly (hence the :P).  Sorry if I didn't
make that clear.

> if the alpha port (and any
> other architectures which don't need libc5) had pointed out a little
> earlier that they didn't want or need the libc5 stuff, things might
> not be such a mess now.  I don't envy you guys filing bug reports on
> every shared lib package that has been upgraded to libc6.

I know, we should've spoken up, but in all fairness, there are quite a few
non-maintainer-status people working on this project right now.  At least
in my case, I didn't feel really "qualified" to make such a suggestion to
established maintainers when I was just getting up to speed as far as
package maintenance.  Plus, I haven't run into the problem that much until
recently otherwise I might've been more tempted to speak up.