Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 16:36:08 -0600
From: Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com>
To: Nikhil Nair <nn201@cus.cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: disks-alpha updated
Newsgroups: list.debian.alpha

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.971005220435.23561A-100000@amasis.trin.cam.ac.uk> you wrote:

: I don't know if you caught my comments a while back, but if not: I'm
: worried about Pasi's kernels.

Yes, I caught them, and "the next thing on my list" was going to be to give
your noname+udb kernel a whirl.  I had in mind building a new base/install
set using your kernel work and everyone's latest package contributions, but
as I said in my last note, it'll probably be about a month before I have
enough time to do that right.

Hmmm.  I'll give your noname kernel a try right now.  (a few minutes pass)
Yep, it came up and seems to be running fine!  Good work.

: So I suggest that at least the pc164 kernel should go ... I'd prefer the
: whole lot going, to be honest.  If anyone is unhappy with the sources I
: used and/or the configurations I used, I'm more than willing to make some
: corrections and compile a new complete set, but I'd like us to be able to
: vouch for something as central as that.

Ok.  So, if I hear you right, what you're suggesting might be that I create
a new date-stamped base/install directory under disks-alpha, and populate it
with your kernels and Pasi's base disk set?  That actually sounds pretty
reasonable as an interim step.

What about rescue disk images?  I recall not being successful with the rescue
image from Pasi's Aug 12th set, but having to use the rescue_multia.bin from
the June 8th set when I loaded my UDB.  Yep, here's the disk set.  I used an
unknown-origin milo disk, the rescue and drivers disks from the 8 June set,
and the root and base1-6 from the 12 Aug set.

Ok, here's what I'm doing right now.  I've created a 1997-10-05 directory in
disks-alpha and am populating it with Nikhil's kernels.  I'm removing the
'current' symlink, so for now we'll just have the three subdirectories:
1997-06-08, 1997-08-12, and 1997-10-05.  This makes sense to me since none of
the three constitutes a complete and coherent set of files that would take
someone from nothing to happiness.  I would like help deciding what else, if
anything, to put in the new directory.  Thoughts?  We could leave it like
this for a while, or we could pull the pieces that work from the other
directories and end up with a single date-stamped directory that is our best
effort to date.

I want our best efforts to be easily available to folks looking for them, but
don't want to be too hasty to throw out things that might still be useful.

Bdale