Re: disks-alpha updated

On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Bdale Garbee wrote:

> I've moved Pasi's 1997-06-08 and 1997-08-12 snapshots into the hamm/disks-alpha
> tree on master, moved the current link to point to the 1997-08-12 directory,
> and removed my ancient mess that required a running RedHat system to load.

Bdale,

I don't know if you caught my comments a while back, but if not: I'm
worried about Pasi's kernels.  I started off with his pc164 one, and found
the ethernet stuff was *very* dodgey: it recognised my DE450 (de4x5
driver), but the `ifconfig eth0' line caused a complete system lock-up.

Trouble is, I have no idea what sources Pasi used to compile that set.
While I wouldn't make any claims about my set (on cobra.ch.cam.ac.uk) wrt
testing, we do at least know what sources they came from.  I was
perilously close to posting on axp-list@redhat.com about those problems,
which may have ended up giving Debian a reputation for shipping poor
kernels ...

So I suggest that at least the pc164 kernel should go ... I'd prefer the
whole lot going, to be honest.  If anyone is unhappy with the sources I
used and/or the configurations I used, I'm more than willing to make some
corrections and compile a new complete set, but I'd like us to be able to
vouch for something as central as that.

Cheers,

Nikhil.

--