Re: Package maintenance ideas

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, Nikita Schmidt wrote:
> The standard way is to test __alpha__ (e.g., see the kernel sources).
> Note that Digital UNIX uses __alpha instead.  By the way, I tried to test
> __ALPHA__ under Linux and found it undefined.

It tends to be a bad idea to test for platform-specific macros. They
change without notice, occasionally, and many "platform specific"
features are actually on many platforms... anyone who's maintained
code that tests for a zillion magic macros will agree that feature test
macros are a better idea, if they can be employed.

It might be better to add -DDEBIAN to the compilation options and test for
that feature, if the changes really are Debian-specific. Possibly
-DDEBIAN_ALPHA as well.