Re: Continued problems...

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, nm wrote:

> now, it WAS overclocked to 200mhz but since then i have downclocked
> to the original 166mhz and still recieve the same error conditions

Hmmm...rules out that problem....unless there's some permanent damage
already done to the CPU (doubtful).

> i have also rm -rf / and installed a fresh redhat 4.2 with X 3.2
> and all... upon starting up X for the first time under these new
> circumstances things seemed ok... then about 20 seconds into X'ing
> my friend Mr. Hard Lockup appears... :(  ...one thing thats
> interesting about this new configuration is that when X starts up
> and the familar thatch background appears it is slowly painted from
> top to bottom and takes around 4 seconds to pain the screen rather
> than the usual 1 second... also my logs do not record ANYTHING that
> seems related to the lockups under these new conditions...

Which X server are you using?  I seem to remember you mentioning that the
card is an S3-ViRGE based card, correct?  If so, are you using the s3
server or the s3v server?  The latter should be the one that you use.  Use
of the standard s3 server on ViRGE cards had been known to cause problems
in the early days of the ViRGE chips, so I would suspect it's still the
case.

> as i write this i am compiling XFree86 3.3.1 and i will try that
> along with this brand new redhat installation... if this fails
> then i will begin to try to find hardware to switch out with...
> first thing i'll try will probably be another hard drive, then
> if i can find another video card i'll try that...

I'm also recompiling XFree86 3.3.1 under Debian on my UDB.  Actually, I
have it compiled now and am in the process of packaging it.  I would
highly suggest swapping video cards first since X is an obvious lock-up
point for you.  After that, you can deal with the hard drive situation.

> oh yeah, another thing, from the beginning this has appeared to be
> an X-only problem but i found something else!
> # badblocks /dev/sda1 82615
> causes an Oops, and a seg fault from the standard console, from
> a fresh install, so i am now not so sure it is an X-only thing...

There has been an ongoing discussion of just how well some of the disk
tools have been working lately on several of the Debian mailing lists with
particular attention being paid to the e2fs tools/progs (which badblocks
comes from).  It appears that not all of the tools work as advertised
under glibc even on the x86's.  Honestly, I haven't run it on my UDB, but
I will try and see what happens :)

> hehe... guess what... i paused here so that i could go a head and
> log what badblocks normally does to oops and seg fault so that i
> could just paste it in here but after around 10 seconds after i
> fired badblocks up the machine just automatically rebooted... right
> in the middle of a build of XFree86 3.3.1
> as you can see i am getting kinda desperate for suggestions here...

Eek!  Yeah, I can see why.... :P

Chris