Re: Debian-Alpha port ideas...please read (long)

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:

> I hate to say this, but I doubt we can reach total "dselectability" until
> the x86 people get their collective s**t together.  I know I'm not
> officially authorised to do this, but I think if we want to get totally
> stable, we should freeze the development source tree right now and achieve
> 90% completion before trying to keep up with the x86'ers and their
> package-release pace.

I am tempted to agree with you, but I am not a maintainer nor a developer.
I will, time permitting, be submitting a package into hamm (both i386 and
ALPHA) but nothing major (a UPS controller for a very specific model of
UPS), but as far as the whole distribution, I am not empowered to decide
anything, nor do I feel myself knowledgebale enough.

>   * ease of installation on ANY Alpha hardware

I think we're pretty close to that on UDB's. True, UDB's are NOT EXACTLY
top of the line :-).

>   * great documentation that's easy to follow for installation procedures
>     on all Alpha hardware

I'd settle on SOME ALPHA hardware. My nano-HOWTO may be a base and, as I
said in a private message to Chris, things can be done - i.e. I am
volunteering to be the victi.... recipient of procedural descriptions of
installation for various hardware platforms and amalgamation of same into
the howto.

>   * a unified and stable source tree for developers to work on porting
>     (patches should be portable throughout platforms, fyi)

Oh, a beautul dream.

So, please, people. If you've installed Debian on an Alpha (and NOT a
UDB), bounce a write-up in my direction and I will be more than happy to
push 'em into the sodding nano-HOWTO. Chris will, I hope, plug 'em into
his Web site.

Meanwhile, the howto will continue to reside on my machines:

	http://www.bard.org.il/~marc

and follow da birdie. The HOWTO is ascii, for now, but I will be
latexizing and htmlizing it sometimes, as it grows.

---MAV

Type Bits/KeyID    Date       User ID
pub  1024/2971208D 1997/09/11 Marc A. Volovic <marc@bard.org.il>

--