Re: Package maintenance ideas

On Fri, Sep 12, 1997 at 03:02:31PM -0400, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:
> I've also been thinking about how package maintenance can be handled
> in a multi-platform distribution like Debian 2.0 is to be.

I think the *best* solution---due to its simplicity and the fact that
it won't require significant increases in communication and the
associated latency in the common case---is for Debian to have machines
available on the net that any maintainer can use for compiling on
architectures to which he or she does not otherwise have ready access.

Problems that couldn't be resolved by the primary maintainer could be
brought up on appropriate architecture-specific lists (debian-alpha,
debian-sparc) where people with a vested interest in the platform
could take on responsibility for making things work---in cooperation
with the primary developer.

fakeroot, if we can get it working, even makes this a fairly safe
thing, but anyone hosting such a machine would be well advised to not
be using it for mission-critical stuff at the same time.

I guess it comes down to laziness on my part---if you assume that
there is some minimum level of effort necessary to deal with a
package, and that each architecture requires an additional (but
smaller) expenditure of effort, then it is obviously more efficient if
to have the one person doing all bits, barring big cross-platform
issues.

I've tried to sound Bruce out about the possibility of using Debian
funds to support this, without any response---so, in true DIY fashion,
then, I am planning, once I get moved over to my new job, to put my
Multia on the net for just this purpose.  Not much of a machine, but
it's something.

Comments?

Mike.
--
Don't touch that!  It's the History Eraser Button