Re: status of install bits?

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Bdale Garbee wrote:

Hi,

> I'm about ready to put my UDB system back together, and would like to reload
> the debian-alpha bits from scratch.  What's the best place to start right now?
> If the answer is "wait a week", that's fine too, but I've passed a major
> milestone in the software I'm working on for the satellite, so I think I can
> make a little time to play again now...

The original (done by me) kit is still in

ftp://gorba.lpt.fi/debian/disks-alpha/

I am (first day) on my holiday and i'll do for sure new kit this week anyway.
I have been playing around that new alpha-patch for 2.0.30 and i found it
very unstable in my AXPpci, so i'm not putting anythign quite new in the
kernel of the installation kit. I have modules working, but recompiling
with latest binutils doesn't remove those annoying messages <0,x,x,y,z> in
console anyway. Now would be perfect time to tell, what features are
wanted to monolithic installation kernel?

With the current kit the installtion is fine (expect the reboot in the end,
which works fine with CTRL-ALT-DEL). If you just 'dselect' after base install,
you'll end up (still) to pretty weird system, which can easily fixed by
removing libc6 and reinstalling some newer poackages over libc6 related ones.

I'll 'announce' after i have something ready again.

-- upi@iki.fi -- http://www.iki.fi/upi/