Re: Alpha Installation Procedure

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Marc Singer wrote:

Hi,

> So, I'm browsing through the installation documentation looking for
> pointers about installing on an Alpha.  Clearly, I'm missing
> something.

Yup. You miss the 'install kit', but that's not actually quite ready.
More like Alpha release of Debian/alpha :) That might change radically
in few next weeks.

> I have an system running R*dh*t and expect that installing Debian to a
> spare partition should be straightforward.  Tips on where to start?

If you really are impatient, you could grab installation kit from

ftp://gorba.lpt.fi/debian/disks-alpha/

but we'd (i'd) make new kit about next weekend anyway, when the binary tree
is up to date for 'dselecting'.

I was just today experimenting with NFS install, but that's much harder than
i expected ie. would need to modify own installation script for that and
maintain it too :(

Maybe i'll just put together pre-installed drv+resc+base and the
installation just installs the base which includes drv+resc. Opinions?
That should be pretty easy to make from existing parts..... lemme test it
right away ... BRB ;)

-- upi@iki.fi -- http://www.iki.fi/upi/