Re: newbie Alpha owner

Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com> writes:
> In article <[🔎] Pine.ULT.3.95.970428095235.3729G-100000@gorba.lpt.fi> you wrote:
> : Actually i tested the available installation package, but
> : for me it seems that most of the packages are dependend of
> : nonexistent libc6.1 (or was that libc6.0.1) package.
> Michael understands more about which libs are the right ones than I
> do.

The problem was an upload mishap because the glibc for the alpha and
that for the i386 were being handled separately.  For the moment you
can find the correct libs at ftp://debian.med.miami.edu/pub/mdorman.

I'm actively working (compiling as we speak) with David Engel on
producing a consolidated package that won't have these upload problems
:-).

> : I'll try later today again, but is there somewhere package
> : for getting more further?

> I've been working with Sven to make the boot-disks package work for
> Alpha.  I just today pulled his latest sources and it appears that
> all the issues for which I'd sent him patches are resolved.  I need
> to compile, or cajole Michael to provide me, a kernel package... and
> then I'm getting pretty close to being able to generate a freshened
> base.tgz and rescue floppy set.

Gaak.  Critical Path!

Actually, I've been working with kernel-package, and I know what needs
to be done (a couple of changes to the creation process---already done
but not fully tested---and a new postinst for the alpha), just need
the time to do it.  I should be able to get it hacked together in a
couple of days.

I guess it'll soon be time to find another spare disk to glom on to
the UDB so I can bench test the install, huh?

Mike.