Re: problems with dpkg

On Sat, 14 Dec 1996, Bdale Garbee wrote:

> I've compiled and installed dpkg-1.4.0.5 on my alpha running Redhat 4.0.  It
> bombs with a segmentation violation on every attempted package install.  The
> backtrace at the time of the core dump looks like:
>
> #0  cu_fileslist () at archives.c:666
> #1  0x12001b2e0 in run_cleanups () at ehandle.c:129
> #2  0x12001b3a8 in error_unwind () at ehandle.c:148
> #3  0x12000e5f4 in archivefiles () at archives.c:781
> #4  0x120007628 in main () at main.c:389
>
> Anyone have any idea what's going on?  Digging in to dpkg is not my idea of a
> pleasant thing to do, but it's going to be hard to get much more done until
> this is fixed.

I'm sure you've heard us UDB owners complain about the bug in dpkg.  Well,
that's it.

Mail to the current maintainer e-mail address has gone completely
unanswered.

And yes, it's very hard to get much further without dpkg installing
packages properly.

--
\/\ Lab.NET | Ryan Smith-Roberts - I speak for Lab.NET, so NYAAH!
/\/  we do  |     rsr@lab.net    - http://www.lab.net/~rsr

Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a
year ago.			- Bernard Berenson