Re: 1.2 on SPARC

> >I'm also working on getting my own sparc up and running (redhat
> >is a really annoying distribution) to start working on this as
> >well.
>
> Careful...there are Red Hat folk here.  :-)
>
> What, may I ask, do you find so annoying?

Well, I don't know much about the Sparc version, but we tried RedHat on a
few Alphas we have here, in order to include them in our departamental
system, and we hit what amounts to a killer problem for us: the Alpha
distribution seems to have no NIS! This prevents us from using it
altogether, and I would like to know what is the reason for that.

Also, we tried to upgrade the installation to the latest version (4, I
think), and were surprised to learn that the old rpm utility would not
unpack the new versions. One asks, what is the point of having an upgrade
system like this...

The nucleus of our departamental system here is a set of 4 Pentiums
running the Debian distribution. One of them is the NIS master and
network server, two others are home and shell servers, and the fourth is a
mirror containing everything about Linux we are able to squeeze in.

We also have a few old Suns and Alphas, and we are buying from SWT a bunch
of new Alphas for number crunching. Hence, we are waiting for the Debian
distribution for both the Alphas and Sparcs, and I hope they come out with
NIS included. I think this is a must in the academic world.

								Jorge