Re: DPKG not compiling due to differences between Alpha and Intel...

(For those on linux-alpha: I'm the author of dpkg.)

Dominik Kubla writes:
> First thing i tried to compile was dpkg - and it failed miserably because
> Linux/Alpha does not define all syscalls! This is apparently because of the
> OSF/1 compatibility.
>
> I found the following differences between Linux/x86 and Linux/Alpha:
> * SYS_sysinfo is not defined in any of the header files (but the kernel does
>   implement it).

This is IMO a bug in the libc and/or kernel.  I suppose the best
workaround is to write a configure rule that detects for the presence
of SYS_sysinfo and defines it, or something.

Alternatively you could redefine sysinfo in config.h to run a fake
version in compat.c that always returns the same numbers.

Anyway, I've reported the lack of an entrypoint or prototype for
sysinfo as a bug against Debian's libc packages and it doesn't seem to
have helped very much ...

If you send me some code for configure.in &c that deals with this
problem for you then I'll incorporate it into the next dpkg release.

> * Structure sigaction has no member sa_restorer.

Huh ?  This really confuses me.  Is this necessary for OSF/1
compatibility ?  How am I to write code that works right on both
systems, if I refuse to use #ifdef ?

(Obviously I shouldn't need to use #ifdef to compile
architecture-independent code on different Linux systems !)

Ian.