ROCm, arm64, and glibc 2.38 (Was: ci-dev.rocm.debian.net, with Ubuntu environments)

Hi Christian,

Awesome! I expect ROCm on Ubuntu to generally be extremely similar to Debian, but those rare differences might be of great interest. Speaking of which, I finally tracked down why the ROCm libraries FTBFS on ubuntu noble for arm64.

The problem began with glibc 2.38, which added SVE vector types in its math headers. This causes failures when compiling HIP code, as the SVE vector types are not defined when building for the GPU. I've filed a merge request on glibc in noble to block them from being defined in device code [1], but I'm not expecting my suggestion to be merged in time for release. So, I'll be filing a request to remove the ROCm arm64 packages from the noble archives.

What does this have to do with Debian? Well, sid is still on glibc 2.37. The problems on Noble are an early warning for upcoming problems on Debian. I see that glibc 2.38-6 is available in experimental, so I suppose I should be filing a bug report.

[1]: https://code.launchpad.net/~slavik81/ubuntu/+source/glibc/+git/glibc/+merge/464058