Re: ROCM host architectures

Hi,

Cordell Bloor, on 2023-03-04:
> On 3/1/23 01:37, Cordell Bloor wrote:
> > On 2/27/23 14:46, Étienne Mollier wrote:
> > > I initially hoped to bring some support at least to the riscv64
> > > architecture, as it seemed a promising platform in the future,
> > > but resolving the current build issue remained out of my reach
> > > for now.  The selection indicated by Christian looks fair enough
> > > to me as well.
> >
> > Finding test hardware is perhaps the most difficult part of this. Do you
> > know if the AMDGPU kernel module works on riscv64? The only non-x86
> > hardware that I know of that uses AMD GPUs is the Raptor Talos II [1].
>
> AFAICT, there's no point in trying to build for any of the other
> architectures. The three that Christian proposed are the only ones with
> driver support anyway [1].

A year and a half ago, I got my hand on a Sifive Unmatched with
RX550 on with I managed to get a working X server with
acceleration from the gpu (modulo adjustments on Linux kernel
side and to X.org drivers).  As you pointed out, I now recall I
got stuck at the amdkfd driver not being available when wanting
to see what would be missing to get ROCm on such platform.  So,
I confirm the architecture support limited to amd64, arm64 and
ppc64el for now.

> [1]: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/v6.2/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdkfd/Kconfig#L6-L8

Have a nice day,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <emollier@emlwks999.eu>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da