Racking Argo, Lyra, Cassiopeia and Bootes

Hello,

I've finally got Argo, Lyra [1], Cassiopeia and Bootes [2] racked. It's now a semi-professional setup with plenty of room to scale. The systems are on a dedicated 240V 30A circuit and are generally drawing about three to four amps in total. I picked up a power distribution unit that can handle 24A and configured it to log power usage to a network store. It also displays the current amperage being drawn in on a display in the rack, which is nice.

The servers are mounted in a Vertiv VR3100 42U rack. It all fits in 9U so there's still 33U of open space left to use. Cassiopeia and Bootes are short, so I mounted the PDU and network switch in the space behind them. I've linked a few photos in case you're interested in knowing what that looks like [3][4]. There's still a few things to do. The network cabling needs to be cleaned up, I need to buy power cables for Argo, and some old shelves need to get taken down before I can move the rack into its alcove in the utility room. Nevertheless, the unit is operational.

If I can find the funding, I'm hoping to add a few desktop PCs with integrated graphics. I'd like to get Ryzen 2000/3000 (gfx902), Ryzen 4000/5000 (gfx90c), Ryzen 7000 (gfx1036) and future APUs tested. I'm currently working on bringing up a Van Gogh (gfx1033) and a Rembrandt (gfx1035) system.

With all that said, I don't want to host these machines forever. I've been reaching out to organizations that might be able to host servers for Debian and I'm hopeful that Argo and Lyra will be transferred to a proper data centre before summer comes. In the long run, I expect I will mostly be hosting systems that have not yet stabilized sufficiently to be transferred to a more professional host.

[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-ai/2023/10/msg00009.html
[2]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-ai/2023/11/msg00038.html
[3]: https://slerp.xyz/img/misc/2023/rocm-debci-rack-front.jpg
[4]: https://slerp.xyz/img/misc/2023/rocm-debci-rack-back.jpg