Preparing Ursa and Lyra for the CI

Hello everyone,

I'd like to introduce Ursa and Lyra, which are the two machines that I'm currently preparing as workers for the Debian ROCm CI [1]. I'm just waiting for a shipment of power cables to arrive and then I'll be bringing them online. Each server is a Dell Poweredge C4130 with 2x Intel Xeon E5-2697 v4 (Broadwell; 18 cores @2.3GHz), 128 GiB of RAM, and 2x 2000W PSUs. Lyra contains 4x MI25 GPUs (Vega 10; gfx900). Ursa contains 2x AMD FirePro S9300 X2 GPUs (Capsaicin; gfx803). My website has photos of both servers [2][3].

The FirePro GPUs came with Ursa and I'm crossing my fingers they will be useful. It's hard to find information on those old GPUs, but the Capsaicin and Fiji architectures seem to be nearly identical. The MI8 GPU used the Fiji architecture [4], so I'm hopeful that this configuration for Ursa is roughly equivalent to 4x MI8 GPUs. With that said, the exact GPU loadout for Ursa is yet to be determined. I'm tempted to swap them out for MI6 GPUs (Ellesmere; gfx803), as those cards are more efficient and have more VRAM [5].

Ursa and Lyra will temporarily be hosted from my home while the systems are validated and the hardware finalized. I expect Lyra to be a stable part of the CI before the end of October, but I may spend longer experimenting with different hardware in Ursa. However, these servers will be very noisy, so I plan to find them a new home in a proper data centre at the earliest opportunity.

P.S. You might have noticed the 384 GiB of RAM sitting beside Lyra that will be used to build the next three CI servers [3]. I'm working my way from the older architectures to the newer ones. Next up will be the Cassiopeia server for testing Navi 10, 12, and 14.

[1]: https://ci.rocm.debian.net/
[2]: https://slerp.xyz/img/misc/ursa-lyra.jpg
[3]: https://slerp.xyz/img/misc/ursa-lyra-open.jpg
[4]: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-instinct-mi8.c2928