Re: RFS: hipcub/5.3.3-4~exp1 -- portable interface for GPU parallel primitives - tests

Hi Cory,

Cordell Bloor, on 2023-07-08:
> On 7/8/23 16:04, Étienne Mollier wrote:
> > Thanks for your work on hipcub and the other packages part of
> > ROCm.  I attempted to build the hipcub package, and all tests
> > passed with the amdgpu RX6800 available in the build context,
> > but the final packaging build steps choke on:
> >
> > 	patchelf --remove-rpath ./debian/tmp/usr/bin/test_*
> > 	/bin/sh: 1: patchelf: not found
> >
> > It looks like the patchelf package is missing from the build
> > dependencies list.
>
> Thank you for catching that. I made the same error on hipcub, rocprim, and
> rocthrust. All three package have now been updated on Salsa.

Great, I could rebuild the package successfully, and then verify
the test suite is working properly in autopkgtest conditions.
All pass, so I uploaded.

The tag debian/5.3.3-4_exp1 in Salsa reflects the state of the
package at the time of upload, but I noticed only later your
changes to the d/copyright file.  I propose to move the change
to the next package upload (and adjust d/changelog accordingly
to that end); the other option would be to cancel the upload
while it hasn't made it to the archive.  What do you prefer?

> By the way, clang-16 adds -fno-rtlib-add-rpath and
> --no-offload-add-rpath||||||, which will eliminate the need for patchelf
> once we can move HIP to the new compiler.

This is good to know, patching the binary after the fact is
suboptimal for the reason exposed in comment: DT_RUNPATH field
is erased with zeroes and thus may have variable width depending
on its initial content, breaking build reproducibility.

Have a nice day,  :)
--
  .''`.  Étienne Mollier <emollier@debian.org>
 : :' :  gpg: 8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da