Re: RFS: rocsparse/5.3.0+dfsg-1 [ITP] -- ROCm library for sparse linear algebra

Hi Cory,

Cordell Bloor, on 2023-01-09:
> I didn't know that import-orig used d/copyright, so my original import
> command was
>
>    gbp import-orig --filter=deps/convert \
>         --filter=scripts/performance/matrices/convert \
>         --filter=docs/source/_static/theme_overrides.css \
>         --pristine-tar  --uscan --upstream-version=5.3.0+dfsg
>
> It seems that command only removed the files from the master and upstream
> branches. While I was developing the package, I saw a number of lintian
> warnings and errors at the end of gbp buildpackage, but I addressed them all
> before uploading. If there were still lintian errors with the uploaded
> package, it sounds like there's something missing from my workflow. In any
> case, I've reimported and the files have now been removed from the (not so)
> pristine tar.

Yes, gbp is capable of interpreting the Files-Excluded statement
in copyright 1.0 format, but I agree this is not necessarily…
intuitive.

> All the problem files have been removed upstream in the release/rocm-rel-5.5
> branch, so we should be able to drop the +dfsg suffix in the next package
> update.

Sounds good, thanks for the status!

> On 1/8/23 09:46, Étienne Mollier wrote:
> >    * d/control:
> > 	minor nitpick: the standards version has been bumped to
> > 	4.6.2 recently, always good to keep the package up to
> > 	date with the latest version, although changes since
> > 	4.6.1 may not be too relevant for rocsparse.
>
> Done. Although, this introduces the lintian warning
>
>    W: rocsparse source: newer-standards-version 4.6.2 (current is 4.6.1.0)

Same on my end, but this should solve once the thing lintian is
checking for the standards version number is updated.  I guess
that will occur when the maintainer will have a moment to do so.

> >    * d/copyright:
[…]
> > 	I'm not entirely sure the mention of the Boost license
> > 	is needed, since clients/benchmarks/program_options.hpp
> > 	seems to be a form of reimplementation, but in doubt I
> > 	suppose it can stay.  Besides, lintian informs us the
> > 	paragraph is unused; this is a machine complaint from a
> > 	machine readability expectation, but this is not a
> > 	blocking problem.
>
> Done. Though, how do you get these lintian warnings? I didn't see that
> warning even with lintian --pedantic.

If you're running stable or ubuntu, I suspect that you may have
an outdated version of lintian.  On sid, mine is:

$ lintian --version
Lintian v2.115.3

sbuild supports running lintian from within the target release
environment if you are using this tool; see the --run-lintian
and related options in the manual.  Otherwise, you may want to
adjust your build script to install and run lintian after the
build on your newly created package.

> I've reuploaded the package to
> https://mentors.debian.net/package/rocsparse/.

I have no issue to report on your package on my end, so…
uploaded!

Thanks for your contribution!

Have a nice day,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <emollier@emlwks999.eu>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da