Re: sbuild schroot setup with amdgpu support

Hi Cory,

Cordell Bloor, on 2022-07-16:
> On 2022-07-16 15:11, Étienne Mollier wrote:
> > Looking through cmake files[2,3], it looks like I can set
> > variable OFFLOAD_ARCH_STR to something (gfx000 perhaps?) so i
> > don't need to go through the rocm_agent_enumerator run.  Would
> > that make sense for autobuilders without cards?
> >
> > [2]: https://salsa.debian.org/rocm-team/rocm-hipamd/-/blob/debian/5.0.0-1_exp1/hip/tests/catch/CMakeLists.txt#L94
> > [3]: https://salsa.debian.org/rocm-team/rocm-hipamd/-/blob/debian/5.0.0-1_exp1/hip/tests/hit/HIT.cmake#L39
>
> That variable does provide a workaround for ROCm 5.0, but the
> OFFLOAD_ARCH_STR you use will be passed to hipcc without modification. As
> such, you'd want to pass a valid argument string. For example, you could
> pass something like
>
>     -DOFFLOAD_ARCH_STR=' --offload-arch=gfx803 --offload-arch=gfx906
> --offload-arch=gfx1030 '
>
> to build for a few selected architectures. In both ROCm 5.0 and ROCm 5.2, if
> you do not specify this variable, then the tests will attempt to build for
> whatever AMD GPU hardware is currently installed. In ROCm 5.2, if the
> hardware can't be detected, I believe it falls back to gfx803. In ROCm 5.0
> if the hardware can't be detected, the build fails with the error you saw.

Thank you for the tip, I managed to trigger a build on a host
which does not have an amdgpu at hand.  Other changes necessary
to fix the current rocm-hipamd in experimental are already
pushed in Salsa repository.  In addition to your other fixes,
there notably was an "adjustment" needed to be able to build
against Gcc 12; I pinged the repository upstream for
information[4].

[4]: https://github.com/ROCm-Developer-Tools/hipamd/issues/38

Have a nice day,  :)
--
  .''`.  Étienne Mollier <emollier@debian.org>
 : :' :  gpg: 8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da