Re: sbuild schroot setup with amdgpu support

Hi all,

rocm-hipamd cleared "NEW" and is now available in Debian
exeperimental amd64 at the moment.

Interestingly, there were build attempts on ppc64el and s390x,
plus other port architectures, which bailed out[1] with:

	FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/sys/class/kfd/kfd/topology/nodes/'

which I believe stems from rocm_agent_enumerator.  If I try to
isolate the build environment in a classical schroot on my
machine, the kernel will still expose the driver classes even
without the corresponding device files.  With the device exposed
I see:

	$ schroot -d / -c sid-amd64-amdgpu -- ls -l /sys/class/kfd /dev/kfd
	crw-rw---- 1 root render 242, 0 Jul 16 20:29 /dev/kfd

	/sys/class/kfd:
	total 0
	lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jun 29 20:58 kfd -> ../../devices/virtual/kfd/kfd

For my more classical sbuild setup, I still see the /sys/class:

	$ schroot -d / -c sid-amd64-sbuild -- ls -l /sys/class/kfd /dev/kfd
	ls: cannot access '/dev/kfd': No such file or directory
	/sys/class/kfd:
	total 0
	lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jun 29 20:58 kfd -> ../../devices/virtual/kfd/kfd

This is because the /sys is bound mounted by the sbuild profile.
That is something to be aware of when trying to mimick the
conditions of autobuilders it seems.

[1]: https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=rocm-hipamd&arch=s390x&ver=5.0.0-1%7Eexp1&stamp=1657839027&raw=0

It looks like the presence or absence of this class will alter
the behavior of the build.  The build went through for amd64
because the binary packages originated from my host.  However,
I suspect the buildability from amd64 autobuilders would also be
impeded without cards.

Looking through cmake files[2,3], it looks like I can set
variable OFFLOAD_ARCH_STR to something (gfx000 perhaps?) so i
don't need to go through the rocm_agent_enumerator run.  Would
that make sense for autobuilders without cards?

[2]: https://salsa.debian.org/rocm-team/rocm-hipamd/-/blob/debian/5.0.0-1_exp1/hip/tests/catch/CMakeLists.txt#L94
[3]: https://salsa.debian.org/rocm-team/rocm-hipamd/-/blob/debian/5.0.0-1_exp1/hip/tests/hit/HIT.cmake#L39

Have a nice day,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <emollier@emlwks999.eu>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da