Re: Running up that (HIP) hill

On Wed, 2022-02-16 at 17:20 +0100, Maxime Chambonnet wrote:

> On 2/16/22 16:43, M. Zhou wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, 2022-02-16 at 16:30 +0100, Maxime Chambonnet wrote:
> > >    - imported in a MUT (vendoring other github repos) way
> > >      gbp import-orig --component=clr --component=opencl \
> > >                      --component=hip --pristine-tar --uscan
> > >
> > TBH I very much dislike squashing multiple sources into a single
> > one.
> > They aren't tightly coupled modules, right?
> >
> > What's the motivation for multi source?
>
> I was on your side two months ago, and then I gave up. [1]
> I made basically no progress in understanding HIP past two months.
> One would need quite a "bare-metal" understanding of the program
> to un-bundle the 4 components. Gentoo devs are still getting mad
> about
> it on rocclr 4.5.2. I do not mean that it is impossible!
> There is at least a circular cmake dependency between opencl [2] and
> rocclr [3], both of which I started packaging (MUT too...) aside.
>
> [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-ai/2021/12/msg00026.html
> [2] https://salsa.debian.org/rocm-team/rocm-opencl-runtime
> [3] https://salsa.debian.org/rocm-team/rocclr

rocclr wants the header files from opencl runtime. To break the
dependency loop, we can manually embed a copy of these header
files in the debian/ directory of rocclr.

But, when we combine rocclr and opencl runtime, we can indeed
compile them together without bothering to duplicate the
code in our archive.

Maybe naming the source as rocm-rocclr-amdocl should be ok.
Will investigate further.

> > The first upload of this package will enter experimental. Have you
> > checked the kernel (5.17) in debian/experimental?
>
> not yet

No worries. When ROCm stack is ready for debian sid, the kernel
will be at least linux 5.18 or higher, I guess.

> I understood this with previous packages, but here I took the time
> to manually update the symbols from 4.5.2 to 5.0.0, without
> -1~exp1 and still have the warning. FWIW, David Bremner on
> OFTC#debian-mentors was intrigued. Maybe won't you have
> this warning...

Check the buildlog and see whether dpkg-gensymbols gives you
a dump of symbol patch. If so, merge that patch and remove
the revision.