Re: [Pkg-opencl-devel] ROCm RFP

Hi Maxime,

Am Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 11:19:27PM +0100 schrieb Maxime Chambonnet:
> Blame it on my poor knowledge of Debian, and the siloed internal search
> engine... I started today looking seriously into packaging ROCm, and after 8
> hours discovered that there is a dedicated team, slightly hidden under the
> debian-ai mailing list : https://salsa.debian.org/rocm-team .

Thanks a lot for fighting through sparsely documented situation and
finally making your way here.

> The team have at least pushed one component of ROCm into stable already :
> https://packages.debian.org/source/stable/roct-thunk-interface. (old
> version, 3.7, current is 4.5, 5 announced)
>
> A conversation between an AMD engineer and the Debian ROCm team started here
> : https://lists.debian.org/debian-ai/2021/03/msg00009.html

Seems you have checked the list archive and probably found ROCm relevant
threads.  For instance there was some video call and if 'm not missleaded
some log of this (I neither took part nor have read the log).

> > Would it be useful to place these packages under the umbrella of
> >   Maintainer: Debian OpenCL Maintainers
> > <pkg-opencl-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
> > There is more in ROCm than just OpenCL, but I don't know a better
> > fitting team ...
>
> I have no clue how this could be better setup, between teams that deal with
> very similar issues.
>
> There was no RFP nor ITP for the overall rocm, there is one now.
> Guess I will play catch up, and see if I can help!

Beeing an outsider of ROCm topic I really welcome your contribution
anyway.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--