Re: Hello from ROCm

Hi Cordell,

first of all, thanks a big lot for joining here, welcome, that is really
much appreciated!

> I'm just here in my spare time, but I'd like to help however I can. If
> you're encountering problems building and packaging any ROCm libraries, I'd
> be happy to answer any questions you might have. I can also triage issues
> and upstream fixes where appropriate.

That sounds great, in particular since we are having a hard time with
organizing the build process.

> While I have knowledge of ROCm, I don't have any experience with the process
> of creating and maintaining official Debian packages. I hope that by

No need for that - the few things that might be necessary to explain I
can explain when they come up. Please don't worry and spend your time
investigating how Debian packaging works.

> while. Have you encountered any roadblocks that I could help with?

Well, I list what roadblocks I have encountered:
* build order
  it is not really clear in which order what should be build
  I have done something like
	rocm-cmake
	roct-thunk-interface
	rocr-runtime
	rocm-llvm
	rocm-devicelibs (using the rocm-llvm from above)
	rocm-compilersupport (not sure whether that worked)

* llvm-*: there are many upstream repositories and it is not
  clear which of those need to be used.
  Furthermore, how far has the integration into llvm upstream proceeded.

* rocclr seems to need amd opencl, and opencl needs rocclr
  at least the last time I checked there seem to have been some
  circular dependencies

I guess some things have changed, the last version I played with were
the 3.9 releases.

I am happy to give the whole stack a try again with 4.1

Again, thanks a lot for joining and your offer, this is much
appreciated.

All the best

Norbert

Fujitsu Research Labs  +  IFMGA Guide + TU Wien + TeX Live + Debian Dev