Re: Proposal for new version mangling rule when ML-Policy takes effect

Hello,

On 2020-10-08 08:14, Mo Zhou wrote:
> I'd like to propose that we mangle the version strings by appending the
>
>   +mlp
>
> identifier (just like +dfsg) when ML-Policy takes effect.
>
> The "mlp" is an abbreviation of ML-Policy, and coincidently "MLP" also
> means "Multi-Layer Perceptron" in the deep learning context.

Looking at the ML-Policy, it seems to me that "+mlp" would mostly be
used to signal stripping of ToxicCandy models, which have DFSG-compliant
licenses, but are derived from non-free/unknown data/software. NonFree
models are non-DFSG by definition, so "+dfsg" covers them well.

>From what I see it seems "+ds" and "+repack" are used as catch-all
suffixes to mark any modification to the source tarballs, not
necessarily stemming from the DFSG. I am not entirely sure what would be
the benefits of using "+mlp" suffix. Could you please provide your
rationale for it?

Best,
Andrius