Re: configuration of debian systems [Was: Re: Unidentified subject!]

[ sorry for forgetting the subject first time around :) ]

On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 09:37:45AM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> "Sarel J. Botha" <sjb@dundee.lia.net> writes:
> > I thought of writing a GUI configuration tool specific for Debian. Quick
> > file defines:
> > - Different configuration options and what they should look like. In other
> >   words: widgets, like val = var (basicval); val = true/false (basicbool) etc.
> In one way or another all proposal have this.

Not too sure about this. Wichert's proposal for example doesn't cover a UI for
each package, just an easy way to do large installations by retrieving config
data from a server/file/whatever somewhere.

I don't plan for my tool to cover that, only the front-end to configuring
packages.

> > - How the config option should look like to the user, again use widgets, like
> >   a checkbox for true/false and a field for name=val.
>
> Thats a bad thing. Each package would look different. All packages
> should have the same look&feel during configuration, although the user
> should have the choise of what that may be.

Hmm, can't see why it's a bad thing. I'm planning to let the maintainers of
their own packages write and maintain their own .dconf file, that's why I'm
trying to write it like this. Yes, each package does look different, that's
why I don't have a widget that covers a whole .conf file, only pieces of it.
If you don't understand what I mean I'll provide some examples :)

I think having something like linuxconf which tries to handle everything
itself won't be able to cover ALL packages that contain .conf files very well.
(I haven't worked with linuxconf before so please correct me if I'm wrong)

> Configuration via a prerecorded database or cloning of existing
> configurations across a pool are other needed features.

Yes, that's why I came to this list. To integrate my UI tool idea with another
project that might be underway. I don't plan to cover that area with my tool.

> Have a look at the archive of this list. There are 3 such projects
> which look promising (one by myself :) and a lot of mails concerning
> that problem.

I took a quick look at the archive. I think the archiver might be a bit broken
or something because June's thread in which you took part starts somewhere in
the middle.

Do you maybe have your proposal up somewhere? I'd like to read it :)

Sarel Botha          |     Computer &           | +27 341 81341
(sjb@dundee.lia.net) |        Accounting        | BOX 2065, Dundee