Re: rescue

Grzegorz Stelmaszek <greg@lighting.ml.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was thinking about an application for Debian, that would allow to rescue
> system if it crashes. This should collect information about packages
> installed, store config files for them, and some user-definable
> directories/files. If system crashed, we would be able to 'replicate' old
> system in just few minutes without many hours of boring configuration.
>
> My question is: is there any program doing it ? Where can i find it ? If
> not i would write it, so send suggestion to me.
>
> Reagards,
> 	Greg

My proposal about a better way to configure the debian system includes
mechanisms to extract the system configuration from a running box and
clone it onto another (or after a crash). Apart from the generated
information you will only need all user data. Should be a 3 liner
together with cruft.

MfG,
	Goswin