Re: purposes

> > about the unix/nt comparisson:
> > with nt one thing is easy possible: delegate some task to someone who
> > is not a skilled administrator.
>
> And see him go crazy trying to fix something, e.g. installing NT on
> drives with >1024 cylinders after a crash.
>
> Get alife. If you have a problem with NT it gets difficult and you
> don't even have logfiles that are as detailed as with linux.

Linux has to support NT for a simple reason, we want to get onto their boxes to
replace NT.  If we break NT then Linux is off that box possibly forever.  If we
succeed then there is a tremendous likelyhood that NT will never be booted
again.

This comes to the need for an easier to use LILO, there was a project called
GRUB but that fell by the wayside.

In a way the goal is to eliminate the Sys Admin on the local box, giving every
body the ability to run things themselves.

>The problem is finding them as a user needing them. :) Nearly every
>tool has been programmed for unix.

I am going to the perl conference this week, I am going to propose a micro perl

which I believe is the perfect standard for admin.  Perl, like a lot of other
stuff is bloated, hence the need for a micro.  Among advantages of perl, is the
fact that the scripts are tiny themselves and fully portable to TK.
===
John van Vlaanderen