Re: FAQ and call for help: Linuxconf and Debian

> jim@laney.edu said:
> > The net command makes use of configuration files stored in /etc/
> > network/
> > which contain the various interface options. For example my eth0 is:
> >
> >   # /etc/network/eth0
> >   IPADDR=192.168.0.1
> >   NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> >   NETWORK=192.168.0.0
> >   BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
> >   GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
>
> That looks a lot like Redhat's solution (which isn't bad at all), but
> one should make sure to cover *all* options of "ifconfig". Redhat does
> not support MTU-settings in its configuration, which has caused some
> trouble for me at least.

There is a configuration option ARGS= which is appended to the ifconfig
command, so you can use whatever options you want. You can also define
optional functions net_up, net_down (I will add also before_net_up and
after_net_down) where you can put arbitrary commands.

My idea is to have a tool simple but extensible if one needs.

> > The new /etc/init.d/network script just calls the /usr/sbin/net
> > command,
> > which does all the real work, with the proper args, just start or
> > stop, and
> > all the configuration options are now stored as separate config files.
>
> Don't put such things in /usr please. /usr might be on a nfs-mounted
> partition - everything needed to setup an initial network connection
> should go in /sbin. Redhat has some problems here also.

Good point. I will move it in /sbin.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: finger dz@tango.cs.unitn.it  |