Re: FAQ and call for help: Linuxconf and Debian

jim@laney.edu said:
> The net command makes use of configuration files stored in /etc/
> network/
> which contain the various interface options. For example my eth0 is:
>
>   # /etc/network/eth0
>   IPADDR=192.168.0.1
>   NETMASK=255.255.255.0
>   NETWORK=192.168.0.0
>   BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
>   GATEWAY=192.168.0.1

That looks a lot like Redhat's solution (which isn't bad at all), but
one should make sure to cover *all* options of "ifconfig". Redhat does
not support MTU-settings in its configuration, which has caused some
trouble for me at least.

> The new /etc/init.d/network script just calls the /usr/sbin/net
> command,
> which does all the real work, with the proper args, just start or
> stop, and
> all the configuration options are now stored as separate config files.

Don't put such things in /usr please. /usr might be on a nfs-mounted
partition - everything needed to setup an initial network connection
should go in /sbin. Redhat has some problems here also.

	Jochem

Jochem Huhmann  *  Duisburg, Germany  *  joh@uni-duisburg.de
"Microsoft NT is not computer science. It is computer scientology."